Monday, February 6, 2012

Korean Saemaul volunteers and residents in Kibokwa village, Tanzania



Oct. 27, 2011

Right before we started a meeting with Kobokwa residents, a village head, members from Women's Association and Youth Association, and Korean volunteers (Saemaul Leaders) gathered. Especially, I was so impressed with Korean alphabet on the wall. :)

Villagers said they wanted to visit Korea to learn Saemaul Undong, and the team manager from Gyeongsangbuk-do, Korea (Department of Saemaul Undong) stressed Saemaul Undong is different from other aids of advanced countries and it's not just about giving a bucket of fish but teaching how to fish.

We shared a lot of opinions on results of Saemaul Undong, what they like or dislike about Saemaul Undong, or improvements they wanna suggest.

But I felt a bit sad because I thought, according to what they said, they were already used to support from other advanced countries, they didn't really realized why they have to be awakended and change their mindset. But it's just begining stage of Saemaul Undong, so I'm pretty sure they're gonna understand the basic concept of Saemaul Undong soon.

1 comment:

  1. Dear Lee,
    I am writing an article about Saemaul Undong and I would greatly appreciate if you could email me at aruna.dutt678@gmail.com so that I could ask you some questions about your experiences.

    Thank you,

    Aruna

    ReplyDelete